Women Supporting Women
WWIS is the Women’s Centre, the Illawarra Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Service, and The Family Advocacy and Support Service. WWIS has a long history of supporting women in the Illawarra. We are a service run by women for women and our offices are women-only spaces where you can feel safe and welcome and can find assistance and support.
If we aren’t able to assist you directly, we will be able to provide you with information about, and referral to the services that will be able to assist you.
The Illawarra Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Service provides support and assistance and court advocacy services to women experiencing domestic and family violence.
Our services include the following:
- assisting women and children who have experienced or who are experiencing domestic violence to obtain effective legal protection from New South Wales Local Courts through applications for Apprehended Domestic Violence Orders;
- assist all women who are the victim of a domestic violence incident involving NSW Police with advice, information and referral within one business day of the event occurring;
- facilitate women’s and children’s access to a support system that can assist them with their other legal and social/welfare needs; and
- establish partnerships with, and work in collaboration with, local police, local courts, other members of the justice sector and other local services to respond effectively to domestic violence.
For further information please contact us on 4229 4604
The Family Advocacy and Support Service (FASS) combines free legal advice and support at the family court for women affected by domestic and family violence.
If you are worried about your safety at court or about going to court please contact the FASS worker before your court date.
The FASS worker can assist you to:
- Help you plan for your safety
- Talk to the Family Courts about your safety at court
- Give you information and support during your family law case
- Help with practical problems like Centrelink and housing
- Advocate for you with services like police
You can speak with the FASS worker on 0411 103 471